Saturday, October 29, 2011

9/27

I got a little messed up because we didn't have school on Friday so this is meant for Thursday which means I will have had two responses that week. Okay well I started the secret life of bees by sue monk kidd and let me tell you I was so happy to have found it. Its the best I've read in a really long time. It has the perfect balance of elevated diction and good conflict. So its set in south carolina in 1964 where racism runs rampant. The protagonist is white though and she lives with the fact that when she was four years old she accidently shot her mother. Her father is horrible to her so one day she runs away with her black housekeeper to a city where she thinks her mother had been. There they find 3 black sisters and live with them. One of the sisters (may) used to have a twin (april). May and april felt eachothers pain equally and then one day april killed herself. After that day, everything in the world became may's twin sister. She takes on the pain of strangers on the news, burnt pancakes and cockroaches. So she cries all the time so she built a wall like the wailing wall in Jerusalem and whenever she feels sad she goes out to the wall and slips her prayer into it. That was pretty interesting and I'm also learning a lot about the behavior of bees in this book. Its soooo goood!

No comments:

Post a Comment