Thursday, November 10, 2011

Life of Pi

I took a break from Angela's Ashes (break; I'll come back to it) and started Life of Pi and it is quite amazing. I learned a lot about animals in the first part of the book, because this guy had a double major in zoology and theology. He grew up living on a zoo kind of, and his dad traumatized him when he was eight, into being afraid of tigers. His parents aren't really religious but he practices Hinduism. Then he steps into a church and becomes a Christian. Then he steps into a mosque and becomes a Muslim. Except he retains each belief he has had before when he adapts another one. Its puzzling because he's not just one of those people who say "yeah i'm (insert a religion here)" but don't do anything about it, because then it would be easy to say you believe in three different paradoxal things, but he puts them into practice. I don't identify with this, but I thought it was interesting how his doubts of Christianity made me realize what an amazing God my God is. He thought Jesus couldn't be as powerful as Allah, because he let himself be tortured by humans, but that just shows me how loving and unproud(secure) He is. And I liked that. But religion plays a big role in this book because the boy is on a ship with all his zoo animals and the ship sinks, along with his family, and he is trapped on a boat with dangerous animals. The religion part serves, and this is a prediction, to save the boy. God miraculously keeps the animals from eating the boy, even though they are starving. When I used to look at this book cover and I would see the bengal tiger in a boat with a small indian boy, I thought that it was just metaphorical and could never happen, but the more pages I read, the more possible it becomes.
Great book.

No comments:

Post a Comment