Thursday, November 3, 2011

I Hate Teen Books

I started the Hunger Games because just about everyone in the world is obsessed with it and my friends kept begging me to read it. I didn't want to, though, because of a few reasons...
A. I hate if the protagonist is an action hero and shes a girl. It just doesn't work, unless you're Angelina Jolie.
B. I don't like Sci-fi, at all. I hate vampires and all that crap. (except Harry Potter)
C. I hate teen books. There's either too much teen angst, or stupid action that doesn't work.
The hunger game is everything that I hate in a book. The characters live in a dystopian society where everyone lives in poverty and there are fights like the gladiator fights that people enter in in order to get food from the government. So it's your typical, guy falls in love with the main girl character but she "just doesn't notice it" so she thinks he's being rude and she is rude back. OH, and then there's the 'Twilight' twist where two guys are in love with her, but she still feels like her life is so terrible. That's got Bella Swan written all over it, and why wouldn't it? Teen books never venture out to new ideas. They just keep the same ideas and wrap them up in different action wrapping paper. So the protagonist whose name is Katniss (I can't stop saying catnip in my head whenever I read it) got picked for the duel with an attractive boy from her "district". The one thing I don't get, though, is the overwhelming emphasis on the fashion. Maybe it's just to take up pages in the book, but it's kinda eerie. I don't get why the author chose to make a whole chapter about the fiery costume she wears. Maybe she'll burn to death in end (I wish- then that'd be a story worth reading) but I'll never know because I'm not finishing the book.
I'm gonna start Angela's Ashes instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment