Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Angela's Ashes

The gargantuan amount of homework I have been consistently getting is really wearing on me. I have like 4-6 hours every night and i really just need a breath. It makes me so depressed because I'm always working and then when i'm not working, I feel miserable because I feel so guilty and worried about the homework piling up in my break. The worst part is that even though I try really hard, sometimes it doesn't show.(I feel like a phony). In AP lit I just got a bad grade back on an essay and it sucks because I don't know how to write better. I spent a lot of time on it and my work just sounds awkward and i dont know how to fix it.
**Okay sorry I just had to vent because I wanted to pout all this melancholy out. I started this book called Angela's Ashes. It's really good and it has this humor that makes all these awful things happening seem less awful. On page 25 it quotes a song that we just talked about in U.S. History, Bill Crosby's "Brother, can you spare a dime?" So you know that the family is going to stuggle with deep poverty because it's during the great depression. Add that to the fact that Frank McCourt's dad is a drunk who spends their money at the speakeasies. Imagine that, you and your wife are so excited because you just got a job so you can feed your starving family and then by the second payday you don't go home to your hungry kids. You spend it on beer. You get drunk for your kid's misery. And the thing that I don't get is that I dont even think the guys addicted- addicted, because he's gone through 4 weeks with no alcohol. So it's not like he's having great physical pains that push him towards that bar, not that that would make it right. It's amazing how many awful people there are in this world, undetected, and labeled as average.

No comments:

Post a Comment