Sunday, March 25, 2012

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

I haven't read in a couple weeks because reading Atlas Shrugged feels so hopeless and I'm still angry at Dagny so I picked up a very short and easy read- Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. I absolutely love it. The writing is really good and its really interesting because it tells the story of a girl born in 1823 China. I am, for some reason, absolutely fascinated by Chinese culture and I love to read these kinds of books so it is really fun for me to read. It has a big part on foot binding which i found really almost unbearable to even read. I can't believe they did that. The ideal size was 7 centimeters! So crazy and for such an awful cause. Those Chinese women were braver and stronger than I can imagine. It's amazing the kind of brutality they were supposed to take and are expected to take without any say at all. That sort of obedience and suffering is an unreal world to American women, who dance around naked shouting to the world how their rights are being taken away. It's pathetic really and then to put those two types of women next to eachother - the contrast is black and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment