Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How to be Alone: Still in Question

I finished Perfect. There were 622 pages in it so when I divide it by 3, it comes out as 207 pages. It ended in destruction, and there wasn't any other way to end it. There was an arrest, a hospital visit, and a funeral but that’s Ellen Hopkins way of ending her books. She shows that her characters are on a rocky road and the only way for it to get better is for them to reach rock bottom. It's like the Phoenix in Harry Potter, how he has to catch fire and burn to ashes before he can become healthy and new again. But then again, that’s a common motif in life, so there could be a lot of examples for that. I also started this week, "How to be Alone", by Jonathan Franzen. It's a collection of his essays that he's written in kind-of-large span of years. He's a very good writer, but I couldn't get too interested in it because nothing is happening. The first essay that I read was about his dad's Alzheimer's disease. Weird things happened in his life and he captures those moments very beautifully and usually I like that, because I read so many memoirs, but I just couldn't get connected. The next essay was about privacy, or the lack of, and how he is happy there can be a possibly 'fake' public, so there can be a comfortable privacy. Like how “There had to be dark and muddy waters so that the sun could have something to background it's flashing glory.” –Betty Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment