Sunday, June 10, 2012

Perks of Being a Wallflower


I just finished Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I know I'm terribly late on this one but I have been wanting to read it for a while- I just never had the chance. It was really good and it was a whole lot like Catcher in the Rye, which i loved also. Maybe, though, it was too much like Catcher in the Rye- maybe the author pretty much copied Catcher. Both books, and I'm not sure how it's done, have a very likeable tone, a real voice that is almost childlike and innocent. The tone of catcher and perks is like the familiar, cozy tone of Junie B Jones, and I absolutely love that. Holden Caulfield was a little more funny and Perks was a little more sad. But they both battled with depression and had strange encounters with people because they both looking for more substance in the world and they both ended up in mental hospitals. I read Perks because even though I'm not a liberal, i know it is pretty much the hipster's Bible so I wanted to be culturally literate and that's why I read it. Sometimes I'm a wallflower because the quote really got to me that "people use thought to not participate in life" and that's what I do. My family calls me a hermit crab and I've been okay with that because I've always said to myself "im busy doing other, more important things; I'm busy thinking." But is it worth it? To be proud and let life go by? I think that's what this book is saying.

I think the movie for Perks is gonna suck an awful lot. I probably won't see it.

Love always,
Mallory

No comments:

Post a Comment