Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Girl Interrupted

 
I read Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen. I didn't even know it was a book until I saw it at Goodwill, much less know it's a true story. I loved the move a ton so I decied to read it. The book is good but surprisingly it's not as good as the movie. They really played up Lisa (Jolie) in the movie and made her one of the main parts. I love the story though becasue I'm really fascinated by the thin and obscure line between the sane and insane. I don't really wanna explain it because thats what the movie and book are for and I know I'll just ruin it by summarizing. Sometimes I wonder how far I am from crazy and I wonder what takes us there and I wonder how we can heel from that.
Some of my favorite lines:
"Endogenous or exogenous, nature or nurture- it's the great mystery of mental illness."
"When you're sad you need to hear sorrow structured into sound."
"What is it about meter ad cadence and rhythm that makes their makers mad?"
"You can flit back and forth between thes perceptions and ecperience a sort of mental vertigo. And if you do this, you are treading onthe ground of craziness- a place where false impressions have all the hallmarks of reality."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment