Sunday, August 26, 2012

Hole in my Life


I just read Jack Gantos' memoir A Hole in My Life. It tells the story of how he got into crime and what prison was like. I liked him a lot better than you're usual addict book (they always end up being criminals) because he wasn't a total idiot like the character's in any of ellen hopkins drug addiction books. He has some self responsibility and even though he was a criminal I didn't hate him becasue I saw what brought him to that and he also didn't try to cover up any of his flaws or mistakes. He layed it clear as day and was vulnerable because he was truely regretful for his actions.
He was a good writer- definitely better than a lot of famous ones like Suzanne Collins or James Patterson or Nicholas Sparks-  yet he kept talking about how all he wanted to do was write and that was his passion and I just thought it was weird becasue he wasn't that great. But maybe thats because he didn't really have a good high school education.
Another thing I was dissapointed in is the fact that he writes childen's books now. I figured with such a traumatic and adventurous and deep life, he'd be doing something more fulfilling. Maybe he's happy but because he's suffered a lot I just wish he was more famous and stuff, you know? But maybe because he realizes that he is a criminal he accepts that life can never be great.
I enjoyed reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment